About the Competition
In every historical period there were foreigners like Marco Polo (1254-1324) and Israel Epstein (1915-2005) who were dedicated to telling stories about China. Today, the world is more willing to hear China’s voice as never before, which provides a platform conducive to intercultural communication.
“My China Story” International Short Video Competition aims to encourage domestic and international content creation teams, foreign live streamers, We Media teams and individuals to create multilingual Chinese themed short videos from their unique foreign perspectives, telling their best experiences when visiting the country. Videos that tell creators’ personal stories with China or present cultural exchanges between China and other countries in the third-person point of view are also welcome.
Sponsor: China International Publishing Group
Strategic partner: Beijing Normal University
Co-sponsors: Zhongshan Municipal People's Government
Organizers: Beijing Xufang International Digital Culture Media Co., Ltd.
Information Office of the People's Government of Zhongshan City
Strategic support: Academy for International Communication of Chinese Culture,
China Intercontinental Communication Center, DOC CHINA Board of Directors, Beijing Returned Overseas Chinese Federation
Special partnership project: Looking China Youth Film Project
Academic support: Academy of Contemporary China and World Studies
Global strategic partner: National Geographic
Exclusive social media partner: Sina Weibo
Strategic partnership platforms: iXIGUA, Douyin(Tik Tok China), Toutiao, Bilibili
International support: Germany Overseas Chinese Association, Prime Media Group (New Zealand)
International media partners: Associated Press, Deutsche Presse-Agentur,
Antara News (Indonesia), African News Agency, Australian Associated Press
1. One Annual Topic
Lingnan Culture, Greater Bay Area
Stories related to Guangdong, the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, or other bay areas in the world.
We are looking for stories related to the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and the cities around it, stories about the development of internationally famous bay areas including New York, San Francisco and Tokyo, and stories related to Lingnan culture, especially the Cantonese culture. Your topic can be about historical heritage, economic development, technological innovation, tourism culture, social life, etc.
2.Three Themed Topics
a. Discover China across the World
China-related stories happening around the world
Whatever country or city you are in, use your camera to film the local Chinatown and stories about Chinese people, food, architecture, or companies. Tell us your stories with China. Whatever you are interested in about China is meaningful for us.
b. Expats’ Experiences
Life stories of foreigners living in China
Have interviews with some expats in China, listen to their stories and film what they are up to here. Feel the interactions between China and the world from the details of our international friends’ lives.
c. Town and Country Tour
Chinese cities and villages in foreigners’ eyes
Every city or village has its own unique historical heritage and beauty. Join the foreigners who are visiting or living in Chinese cities or towns to document their daily stories.
3. One Social Topic
A Bite of Chinese Food Worldwide
Stories happening around the world about tasting, cooking and recommending Chinese food
There are many schools of Chinese cuisine and a variety of cooking techniques. Chinese food lovers are all over the world. There are many overseas Chinese restaurants. These food stories are exactly what we are looking for. Film them and participate in the competition by uploading to Douyin!
Prizes and Rewards
1. 30 Topic Awards
The judging panel will select one first prize (bonus 8,000 RMB), two second prizes (bonus 5,000 RMB), and three third prizes (bonus 3,000 RMB) for each of the five topics above.
2. Six Individual Awards
From the works that enter the final evaluation session of each topic, the judging panel will select six entries to give Individual Awards, namely Best Live Streamer Award, Best Story Award, Best Videography Award, Award for Best International Communication, Award for Best Online Communication, and Award for Best Short Video Series. Each winning entry will receive a bonus of 4,000 RMB.
3. One Grand Jury Prize
From the shortlists for the final evaluation session, the judging panel will select one work to award the Grand Jury Prize with a bonus of 20,000 RMB.
4. 50 Outstanding Awards
From all entries submitted, the judging panel will select 50 to give Outstanding Award and certificates will be issued by the competition sponsor.
Who may participate in the competition?
All topics above are open to both domestic and international, professional and amateur short video creation teams and individuals. Chinese organizations stationed abroad, overseas Chinese (students included), are also welcome.
Your entry video shall meet at least one of the following requirements.
1. There are non-Chinese-citizens speaking in the video or the protagonist of your story is a foreigner.
2. There are non-Chinese-citizens participating in directing, filming, and editing. He or she must serve as video designer, director, editor, videographer, etc.
3. Shooting scene is in other countries but the content is about China or China’s interactions with the world.
Submission of Proposals and Entries
There are two submission sections in this year’s competition. The first section is for video proposals and the second one is for video entries. Participants may consider submitting your proposal first before conducting filming or you can submit your video directly without taking part in the first section.
Submission of Video Entries
Submission Deadline: June 30
Ways to submit your video:
(1) Upload your video to your organization’s or personal account on Bilibili, iXIGUA, or Sina Weibo. Follow the platforms’ instructions and tick your video with the tag of the competition name to sign up for “My China Story” International Short Video Competition.
(2) Send your video to email@example.com in the form of large attachment or Baidu/ Google drive link (with password). The subject line of your email should follow this format: Your Name-Video Title-参赛.
Requirements for Entry Video
1. Videos can be submitted in the name of an institution, studio, or individual. Each participant can submit up to five entry videos. If your entry is a series or column, it should contain three representative videos.
2. There is no restriction for the form of your video or filming tool. Variety show, interview, talk show, short documentary, and Vlog are all acceptable forms. Videos can be produced with professional camera or mobile phone. The duration of each video should be less than 10 minutes.
3. There is no restriction for the language spoken in your video. However, for videos in languages other than Chinese and English, there should be Chinese/ English dubbing or subtitles.
4. Your video must be based on fact and real life and channel positive energy. It must not involve any pornography, violence, racial discrimination, or advertisement.
5. The resolution of your video should be 1280*720 or above. MPG, MPEG, AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4 are acceptable formats.
Benefits for Participants
1. Participants who take part in the proposal submission section have the opportunity to receive financial support.
2. Your entry videos have the opportunity to win more than one prize and award that come with certificates and bonus.
3. Up to two members of winning teams have the opportunity to be invited to the annual award ceremony and its sub-activities including evening party, sharing meeting, outstanding works exhibition, etc.
4. Award-winning videos have the opportunity to be promoted on media before and after the award ceremony. The winning teams and individuals may be interviewed by domestic and international media.
5. The winning videos have the opportunities to be shown on the partnership platforms and in domestic and international exhibitions held by the sponsor.
6. The winning videos will be published in the book named after the competition in both Chinese and English.
7. Outstanding anchors and teams will be invited to join the short video club created by the competition sponsor, where gathering activities, topic-sharing forums, and other photography-related events will be held.
8. Outstanding anchors and teams will be invited to become contracted partners of the competition sponsor, with whom the sponsor will jointly operate its new media international communication projects.